Message from the Foundation President
In 1984 the Foundation was incorporated in Maryland as a charitable organization under Section 501(c) 3 of the Internal Revenue Code. Initially the Foundation was funded with a donation of $10,000 by the parents of Cynthia Ellen Northrop who was the visionary leader behind the formation of TAANA and the Foundation. Later Cynthia’s mother donated a quilt to the Foundation Silent Auction. Through the generosity of the high bidder, Diane Kjervik, the quilt was donated back to the Foundation and is now part of TAANA archives.
The purposes of the Foundation are to operate exclusively for charitable, scientific, literary or educational purposes and to provide financial support to
recognized charitable institutions or in the furtherance of charitable purposes.
The Foundation has accomplished these purposes by providing funds for:
- The establishment of an academic scholarship in perpetuity in memory of TAANA’s founder Cynthia Northrop, The Cynthia Northrop Memorial Scholarship Endowment for Ph.D. Students at the University of Maryland School of Nursing, where Cynthia was a professor.
- speaker fees and other expenses associated with TAANA’s annual educational conference
- publication of the revised Model Curriculum of Legal Content in Nursing Education
- the community TAANA archives reception during TAANA’s Anniversary Celebrations
- an amicus brief in Finnerty vs. Board of Registered Nursing, and
- the production of the DVD Think Before You Speak for preparation of nurses for deposition.
Also the Foundation gives a Community Grant to a charitable organization in the community where TAANA’s annual educational conference is held. The Foundation honors individuals or groups that have made a significant contribution to the development of health law, nursing and policy with the Mary Eleanor McGarvah Award. The Foundation provides an opportunity for student or first year nurse attorneys to attend the TAANA annual educational conference with the New Advocate Award. The TAANA Foundation fosters the education of nurse attorneys, impacts health policy and law by honoring leaders and supporting issues important to the professional organization and interfaces directly with the public. The Foundation is how nurse attorneys give back to their profession and their communities.
The Foundation relies on contributions of nurse attorneys and the public. Donations are tax deductible to the full extent of the law. Donations may be made by clicking on the ‘Donate Now’ link or ‘printable donation form’ link on this web site. Donations may be made with annual membership dues and with registration for TAANA’s annual educational conference. Donations may be made in honor or in memory of someone at any time. The TAANA Foundation is a 501(c)3 nonprofit charity. Your donation is tax deductible to the full extent of the law.
Thank you for your continued support and generosity. Together we can enlarge the good work of the Foundation.
President, TAANA Foundation
Donate to the TAANA Foundation
TAANA Foundation Board of Trustees
- Randi Kopf, RN, MS, JD, President
- JoAnn Pietro, RN, JD, Secretary
- Elizabeth Beall, RN, JD, Treasurer
- Kathy Gialanella, RN, BSN, JD, LLM
- Kathleen Kearney, JD, MSN, RN
- Taralynn Mackay, RN, JD
- Rosemary McCarthy, MS, JD
- Janet E. Michael, RN, MS, JD
- Teressa M. Sanzio, RN, MPA, JD
- Jackie Walus-Wigle, RN, JD, CPHQ
- Carolyn Dolan, JD, MSN, FNP-BC, PNP-BC (Cross Over Trustee)
- Melanie Balestra, BSN, MN, NP, JD (Cross Over Trustee)
- Trudy Kiaunis, RN, JD (Emeritus Trustee)